I have had a number of requests the last few years for an up to date list of good resources for dads and moms to reference when talking with kids of all ages about sexuality and healthy relationships. Today it is very important to be tech savvy enough to stay on top of what is happening on social media and be vulnerable enough to start the dialogue early and often with the kids about sexuality. And remember, as Paul Brown said in his recent talk, it is not a battle between parents and kids; it is a battle of family against the world.
For nearly three years, Faithful Fathering has been on the LTAP journey with other church and community leaders. LTAP is short for “Let’s Talk About Porn” – there have been four LTAP conferences across the Houston area reaching 2500 dads, moms and students. From those events, the following resource list has been developed. I would like to give a shout out to some of the folks that have helped pull this together – Conference speakers: Laura Gallier, Paul Brown, Dr. Paul Looney, Tim Mavergeorge; and LTAP team members: Linda Withers, Stephanie Dickinson, Tim Howard, Paul Oliphant and Dave Troth to name a few. It is a good list but not a comprehensive list. If you have a favorite resource that is not listed, please forward the info to me and we will build a better list.
- Learning About Sex for the Christian Family - 6 books, Concordia Publishing House. A series that includes gender specific material and discussion for boys and girls at ages 10-12 and 13-15.
- Good Pictures, Bad Pictures, Jenson & Poyner. Porn proofing today’s young kids.
- Passport to Purity, Rainey. Weekend retreat discussion guide for 6/7 grade.
- From Santa to Sexting, Hunter & Blair. Helping your child safely navigate middle school and shape choice that last a lifetime
- So You are About to be a Teenager, Rainey. Godly advice for preteens on friends, love, sex, faith and other issues.
- Aggressive Girls, Clueless Boys, Rainey. 7 Conversations you must have with your son and 7 questions you should ask your daughter.
- The Talks, Johnson. A parent’s guide to critical conversations about sex, dating, and other unmentionables.
- Should I just Smash my Kid’s Phone?, Fields & McKee. How to empower you kids to make good choices and develop responsibility without losing your mind. https://homeword.com/product/should-i-just-smash-my-kids-phone/
- Father-Son Accountability, Integrity through Relationship, Fort & Fort. A father son accountability guide.
- Every Man’s Battle, Arterburn & Stoeker. Every man’s guide to winning the war on sexual temptation one victory at a time. Also books for son and teen in same series.
- Every Young Woman’s Battle, Ethridge & Arterburn. Guarding your mind, heart and body in a sex-saturated world.
- 7 Principles of Highly Accountable Men, Laaser. Men of Valor Series. We need God in our lives and this book presents 7 principles to assist in that journey.
- Path to Purity / Abstinence – Resources by Laura Gallier
- Do Not Look Inside This Book, Laura Gallier
- The Delusion, Laura Gallier
- Girls Gone Wise, in a world gone wild, Mary A. Kassian
- Your Brain on Porn: Internet Pornography and the Emerging Science of Addiction, Gary Wilson
- Heal, Grow, Serve for WOMEN, Daugherty & Berreth. Practicing the pursuit of greater sexual integrity.
- What’s the Big Deal About Porn? Sean McDowell
- http://www.josh.org/ Josh McDowell Ministry
- http://www.lauragallier.com/ Path to Purity / Abstinence – Resources, Laura Gallier
- qustodio.com – Qustodio
- https://fullarmorsys.com/ Full Armor Systems
- hero.fullarmorsys.com - Full Armor Systems Hero
- teensafe.com – TeenSafe
- http://www.covenanteyes.com/ Covenant Eyes
- http://www.covenanteyes.com/blog/ Covenant Eyes Blog
- http://sexualintegrityinitiative.com/ Sexual Integrity Initiative
- https://cpyu.org/ Center for Parent / Youth Understanding
- https://dustindaniels.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-sex-spiral-audio-series Forgiven & Free, Dustin Daniels
- The Nature and Dynamics of Internet Pornography Exposure for Youth
- Psychologist Philip Zimbardo – The Demise of Guys – Why boys are struggling.
- Mind Armor – Staggering Statistics
- http://fightthenewdrug.org/ Fight the New Drug
- The Impact of Pornography on Children & Youth
- https://protectyoungminds.org/ Protect Young Minds
- http://www.digitalkidsinitiative.com/ Digital Kids Initiative
- https://www.netnanny.com/blog/ Net Nanny Blog
- www.pornproofkids.org Porn Proof Kids
- The great porn experiment | Gary Wilson
- Why I stopped watching porn | RanGavrieli
- Ted Bundy’s Final Interview | James Dobson
- Porn The New Tobacco | Jack Fischer
- The Conquer Series
Counseling & Therapist recommendations:
- Faith Bible Church Counseling – FaithBibleonline.org or call 936.321.5505
- Dr. Paul Looney & other clinical professionals - http://www.whitestonebuilding.com/
- Invitation Ministries - http://www.invitationministries.org/ or call 832.585.9827
- Houston Center for Christian Counseling: Sugar Land, 281.277.8811; Katy, 281.398.0022
- Celebrate Recovery - email@example.com
- Refreshing Springs Ministry - refreshingspringministries.com
- True North, The Woodlands; Cheryl Butler - truenorthtw.com
Prayer guide: Thank You Lord for Your design – male and female You created us (Gen.1:27). Thank You for Your plan – marriage and family to raise Godly offspring (Mal.2:15). Forgive me for allowing myself to be influenced more by the world than I am being an influence for You in this world. Strengthen me to step forward in the freedom You have given me to rebuke the pervasive noise of this world, particularly when it aggressively goes after my kids. Help me be the dad You call me to be, the dad the next generation needs. Amen.
A faithful father steps forward in battle for family against the world.