Confusion is rampant around sexuality and what healthy relationship looks like. As men, we must accept responsibility for the status quo because we have been passive toward a scheme designed to distract us, destroy marriages and is now aggressively going after our kids. It is pornography. We have been charged as husbands to reflect the standard for healthy relationship in marriage. As dads, we are to pass it on by example to the next generation. This is a call to BATTLE, for dads to rebuke and purge this scheme for the sake of the next generation.
Facts about pornography:
- Average age of first exposure to pornography: 11 years old;
- 12-17year-olds are the largest consumers of pornography;
- Teens see 50 porn clips per week;
- 1 out of 3 youth who viewed pornography, viewed the pornography intentionally;
- Porn sites get more visitors each month than Netflix, Amazon and Twitter combined;
- 70% of boys and 62% of girls are exposed to Internet porn before the age of 18.
Call to BATTLE: Four Fronts
- Individually – accept RESPONSIBILITY at the personal level. Wherever you are, raise the bar for keeping “eyes focused on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith” (Heb.12:2) and “take every thought captive in obedience to Christ” (2Cor.10:5).
- In small group – embrace ACCOUNTABILITY in a small group of men or with at least one ‘battle buddy’ whom you trust. Again, wherever you are, raise the bar to the standard given in Ephesians 5:3-6. Growth is key in order to rebuke temptations and purge this scheme.
- In family – establish VULNERABILITY by facing the fact that no dads and no families are perfect. Have discussions with your wife around this topic and age appropriate discussions with the kids. Be real, be open and be sensitive. Be sure your home is a safe place for the kids to talk about relationships & sex.
- In the church & circles of influence – exemplify IGNITABILITY with your passion and commitment to rebuke this scheme of pornography and to strengthen relationships in marriage & family. We are to start a backfire to shut down the blaze that has been sweeping through society effectively uninhibited. Get moms & dads fired up about attending the October 30th event and ask Youth & Parent ministers how you can help them on this front. The goal is to establish the home and the church as safe places for kids to talk about healthy relationship and sex versus the school, internet and peers.
“But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person – such a man is an idolater – has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.” – Ephesians 5:3-6. The standard is high but in the power of the resurrected Christ and indwelling of the Holy Spirit, it is to be met and passed on to the next generation.
Prayer guide: My Father, thank You for the example set by Your Son. Through His death, resurrection, ascension and sending of the Holy Spirit, You have equipped me with power and authority to rebuke the devil’s schemes. Help me reject passivity and boldly step forward on this battlefront for the sake of the next generation. Amen.
A faithful father steps forward on the battlefront in the power of the risen Christ.