THIS FATHER’S DAY, June 19th, 2016, commit as a faithful father to:
- Prioritize physical presence in the home and with family. ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning … The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us.’ John 1:1-2, 14. Just as God provided a connection with Him through the physical presence of His Son, a father provides a connection to the Father by being present and accounted for in family.
- Be engaged emotionally with wife and kids. ‘If you love Me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of Truth.’ – John 14:15-17. Jesus anticipated emotional distractions long before 150 cable channels, i-phones, texting, radio and newspapers, not to mention other worries, frustrations and discouragement. I will work to eliminate distractions, especially at the dinner table, and focus on the Counselor.
- Lead spiritually by example. ‘For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers.’ – Romans 8:29. Christ-likeness is what men are to be conformed to. I commit to be more Christ-like tomorrow than today and the journey will bless my family for generations to come.
As a faithful father, I pledge to:
- prioritize my physical presence in the home and at my children’s activities by
(Putting kids’ activities on my calendar; getting home from work at a consistent time; communicating potential conflicts ahead of time)
- work at being more engaged emotionally by
(Committing to eat dinner together as a family 5X per week; spending regular one-on-one time with my wife and each child)
- lead spiritually by example by
(Spending personal time in prayer & scripture daily; Leading the way to church; leading regular family devotion time)
Comment on how you will fill in the blanks.
Prayer guide: Lord, thank You for the many gifts and blessings in my life, may I never take them for granted. Thank You for the opportunity to reflect Your triune nature as a faithful father – to be present physically, engaged emotionally and lead spiritually. Strengthen me to accept responsibility for the opportunity You offer as I pledge to be a faithful father – to be the father You expect me to be, the father my family needs. Amen.
A faithful father prioritizes physical presence, is engaged emotionally and leads spiritually by example.